пятница, 24 ноября 2017 г.

The Two Tone Look {Antique Dresser}

This was was one of the first antique pieces I bought after I was married. Not the first, but close to it.

I thought it was a great buy at the time. That was before Craigslist, and Facebook, and all that awesome sauce. Back when I used to wander around in huge antique malls for hours at a time, looking for furniture that was ridiculously priced, and finding a "bargain" at a slightly lower ridiculous price.

Now I can't remember the last time I paid over $10 for a used piece of furniture!

It has always been in my guest room, but my interior designer my mom thought it was too big for the room and needed to go.

.*
TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

I remember Our Prairie Home's gorgeous dresser, and wanted to copy the look. (However, I was lazy and painted my drawers).

I started stripping the top. Did I pay for that stuff you see? Heck no. I think it was in a garage sale free box. The scraper was also a garage sale item, 50 cents, and the best one I've ever put my hands on.

I put the boy to work with the electric sander. He even cuts the sandpaper to size and secures it on himself now.

Teach 'em young!

Okay, so in all of my previous painting projects, I just dumped Plaster of Paris or Webpatch straight into the paint.

I have found a much better way, ya'll.

Mix it with a little water first, until it's dissolved and then pour your little mixture into your paint. No lumps and bumps for the perfect chalk paint. Goes on smooth, and no primer needed!

I sanded a few areas just a little bit for some distressing, and then rubbed a dark wax over the whole thing with a rag. Grabbed that out of the same garage sale "free box" as the stripper. Can you believe this was my first time ever using wax? Yeah, yeah.... I like it. Not gonna rave about it like some bloggers do, however. Maybe mine was ancient and I should try some brand new wax sometime. Yeah right.

I left the hardware "as is".

The drawers still have the same wallpaper in them that my mom put in there when I first bought this thirteen years ago. That wallpaper was also on the walls of my guest room in our very first house. Wow.

And now for some last comparisons......

Like what you see? Follow Kammy's Korner on:

Original article and pictures take http://www.kammyskorner.com/2013/09/the-two-tone-look-antique-dresser.html site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий